This week we are back to lessons! It's always a love/hate kind of thing to begin after break but new material for our circle time helps motivate everyone. If you've missed my other circle time posts, you can find term 1 here & term 2 here. You'll notice I didn't share term 3- that's our holiday term & it only last 3 weeks. It went fast & we were hit with sickness so we mainly just read from Come Thou Long Expected Jesus.
NEW Material for Winter Term (2016-2017):
- Hymn: Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
- Bible Memory: Genesis 1:1-2:4 (this is not new for the older three children)
- Bible: Apostle's Creed
- Catechism: the children will continue working through wherever they are (Children's Catechism, Shorter Catechism or Heildelberg Catechism)
- Latin: Action Song (these are fun songs from Song School Latin)
- Shakespeare: we will memorize portions of Twelfth Night & listen to it, following along in books I bought (this is our guide; this is the audiobook; I bought Folger's copies because it opens to text with the opposite page of definitions). We will begin this the 2nd or 3rd week of the term because we need to finish up the other play first.
- Poems: Patricia, Benjamin & Matthias: The Pessimist & the Optimist; Jonathan & Elizabeth: Persevere; Abigail: Work; Emily: Work and Days of the Week; Katherine: Ooey Gooey (I collect poems when I find them but we've mainly used this for years- its AWESOME!)
- Folk Songs & Other Tunes: Home On the Range
- History: National Anthem & Pledge of Allegiance (this is not new for the older three children)
- Grammar: trying something completely new this year: a grammar catechism! (I bought the workbook but the meat will be the catechism)
- Read Alouds: 101 Hymn Stories; Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History; Robert Schumann and Mascot Ziff)